Birth Injuries Attorneys in San Bernardino
Inland Empire Birth Trauma Lawyer
While the birth of a new child is supposed to be a happy occasion, 27 out of every 1,000 births in the US entail birth injuries to either newborn babies or their mothers. Some birth injuries will eventually heal, but others cause permanent disabilities or even death. Birth injury often occurs due to the negligence or carelessness of the attending medical team during the childbirth procedure.
If your family recently experienced any kind of injury during childbirth to a newborn baby and/or their mother, a Los Angeles birth injury attorney can help you determine your best available options for legal recourse.
Why Choose Our Team?
When you need a reliable medical malpractice attorney, it’s essential to find a legal representative with significant experience handling your type of case. At Kampf, Schiavone & Associates, our legal team has secured more than $250 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. We believe in aggressive, comprehensive, and client-focused representation in every case we represent. If anyone in your family experienced any type of medical malpractice during a childbirth procedure that resulted in an injury, your Los Angeles birth injury lawyer will help you build a solid case to recover the compensation your family needs to recover.
Our attorneys always seek swift and positive results for our clients. When settlement is possible, we can build a strong case to maximize our client’s recovery. When we need to litigate a case in court, all of our attorneys are thoroughly trial-tested and ready to do whatever it takes to secure our client’s recovery. We understand how devastating a birth injury can be for a family and acknowledge the heavy financial toll a birth injury can exact.
No matter what type of birth injury your family has experienced, you can rely on Kampf, Schiavone & Associates to provide responsive, compassionate legal counsel through every phase of your case.
Common Causes of Birth Injuries from Medical Malpractice
When tragedy happens during childbirth due to a medical professional’s negligence, the family can feel an uncertain mix of grief and frustration. When you feel lost when it comes to deciding what to do next after your loved one has suffered a birth injury, Kampf, Schiavone & Associates can help. We will take appropriate legal action and handle your legal interests, so you and your family can focus on recovery.
Birth injuries from negligence happen in many different ways, such as:
- Injuries from surgical instruments and delivery tools. Doctors performing childbirth procedures may need to use instruments such as forceps and vacuum extraction devices, but there are very specific rules for using such devices. Misuse of surgical instruments can cause serious physical injuries to a newborn, some of which may result in permanent disabilities.
- Failure to identify and/or treat infection. Infection during or after childbirth is incredibly dangerous, especially for a newborn with a vulnerable immune system. Delivery teams must carefully follow sanitation procedures to minimize the risk of infection as much as possible. An infection can progress to fatal levels very rapidly.
- Injuries from oxygen deprivation. The delivery team has a duty to ensure the baby is not endangered by the placement of the umbilical cord and other variables. If a medical professional’s negligence causes a baby to suffer brain damage from oxygen deprivation, the child could experience severe developmental and cognitive delays, including conditions like cerebral palsy.
- Failure to move to Caesarean procedure. A C-section is necessary under certain conditions. If a delivery doctor fails to recognize the criteria for a C-section and causes a birth injury, the doctor could be liable for medical negligence.
- Failure to monitor blood pressure, oxygen levels, and other vital signs. Delivery teams must monitor both children and their mothers during delivery procedures. While most birth injury cases involve injuries to newborns, some involve injuries to mothers who did not receive appropriate monitoring during or after childbirth.
Medical negligence can take many forms. The determining factor in any birth injury case is the standard of care, or the level of medical treatment a patient required. Your Los Angeles birth injury attorney can help you gather the evidence you need to prove that your birth injury resulted from a failure to meet the standard of care your situation demanded.
Potential Recovery from a Birth Injury Lawsuit
A birth injury lawsuit can potentially provide several different types of compensation to a family afflicted by a negligent birth injury. It’s not uncommon for babies who sustain birth injuries to sustain life-threatening issues very early in life or to develop permanent disabilities. For example, cerebral palsy is one of the most common forms of long-term damage from birth injury. This condition covers a broad spectrum of symptoms that fluctuate from case to case. Some children with cerebral palsy experience minimal disruption to their health and development, while others with more severe cerebral palsy could require permanent in-home supervision and medical monitoring.
An experienced Los Angeles birth injury lawyer can help their client secure compensation for the medical expenses incurred from the birth injury, including the future costs of treating a child afflicted with long-term or permanent damage. A birth injury lawsuit will also likely yield pain and suffering compensation for the family to account for the physical pain of the birth injury and the family’s resulting trauma. The family may also recover lost income if a child’s birth injury is so severe that one parent will need to stop working entirely to remain home with the child.
Find Legal Representation as Soon as Possible
The sooner you start building your birth injury lawsuit, the sooner your family can begin collecting the compensation you need to address your long-term medical needs and the financial losses resulting from your experience. Kampf, Schiavone & Associates can help you determine liability for your birth injury, fully assess your damages, and hold the parties responsible for your birth injury accountable for the damages they have caused. If you are ready to meet with an experienced Los Angeles birth injury lawyer, contact Kampf, Schiavone & Associates today to schedule your consultation with our team.